quinta-feira, 26 de outubro de 2017

10/26/2017; Lesson 07: Response to "Cultural & Psychology".



CULTURAL AND PSYCHOLOGY



I am Brazilian, and when I think in my own culture, I can see elements that affect people judgment. The public education system has been stereotyped as bad and the private one as good. Consequently, it reflects in the self-esteem of the students from public schools. Many times, they feel inferior when compared to the students from private schools. Even in sports competitions. They always think themselves as less smart or less capable.

 I think this happens because we have a capitalist society and people have the necessity to belong to it. They believe that money brings happiness, intelligence, and acceptance. Good examples to illustrate it are in my professional life. This year, I am working in two schools. One is near to downtown and the families have good purchasing power. Another is on the outskirts and families have lower purchasing power. The first school does not have problems with the use of uniform nor cellphones in class. On the other hand, in the second students are continuously disobeying the rules. They love to expose their cell phones and branded clothing. Many times, families do not have the essential to live inside their homes but their children have the most modern smartphone. Our capitalist culture says that it is the right.

I believe we as teachers can show to our students that things do not work this way. I like to share with them examples of other students' overcoming. Girls and boys that achieved the success through the studies and hard-working even though they being of humble origins. So, I hope to make them believe themselves and change their own future.



2 comentários:

  1. It is hard to live this in the same territory. It will be difficult, but you can influence it. There is so much problem in the world today that the media refuse to discuss about them. It will be good if we can take action to lead the world to the change we want to see so that the idea that we are created equal may come to reality.

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Hi Isabella,
    In Romania, there is a different situation. In public schools the standards are higher than in private schools. The education students get is better.
    You are right about people being able to bring a change in this world. Our advice can make somebody's life better.

    ResponderExcluir